Re: MAX/MSP Conversion Complete...

On Sep 29, 2006, at 21:12 :46, Jeff Larson wrote:

> In my brief experience with Max, it appears that you're given a set of
> very fundamental building blocks that you can combine in complex ways,
> but if you need a new block, you're writing an "external" in C code.
> True you can "do whatever you want" but the leap from drawing a patch
> to programming in C is huge.  So if you're not a C programmer and
> don't
> like the sound of the objects available on the various Max forums
> you're stuck, no?

Max allows you to build patchers ("objects") yourself by combining
existing ones. Your own patchers link into the authoring system just
like the pre-existing ones. You can go a long way before you need to
hack externals in C.

Many of the patchers within Max are actually compositions of more
basic components.

Bernhard