Re: MAX/MSP Conversion Complete...

> Max/msp is so much more designed for specific application, as in.. think
> up a audio concept that requires some computer magic, and construct the
> tool for the job. This could be processing a string quartet by
>"applying"
> algorithms based on Moterhead samples for quadraphonic playback, or
> slicing drumloops into 256 pieces where each slice is randomly pitched
>and
> panned based on the skin resistance of a sleeping child.

>>That is certainly one possibility, and one that I would like to
see/hear!!!! But you can also do other things...like create a vst host
that works like YOU want it to.....

>>Krispen, chime in here....!

Yup...you can create a kick ass VST host with MAX, better than anything
you
could possibly buy off the shelf....and you can just keep on making it
better and evolving as you evolve as a performer...that's what I plan to
do
with it, at least.  And, on a slighly humorous note, the last time Jeff
was
here in Boise, we concieved of some new MAX/MSP patches to train jazz
musicians how to slow down and play less notes. Basically the patch would
count the number of notes you played in a fixed period of time, or on
average, and if you reached your quoto, it would mute you (i.e., punish
you). And then the other theoretical patch was to train newby improvisors
how to play non-diatonically. Basically, it would shut you off if you
played
on a particular key for a pre-defined length of time...oh, the
possibilities
are limitless!  :)

> Reactor, is more for the guy who wants to build a flexible
> environment/tool (read sequencer or processor) that fits his future
> musical plans, and will therefore be more complex and varied, and will
> probably see more use as a personal tool, past the one off performance
> thingy that Max would make....

>> Reaktor can run inside of max...best of both worlds, if you want them.

Works for me. Between Reaktor 5 running as a VST inside my max/msp vst
host,
and the capabilities of max/msp itself, I am most definitely drinking from
the firehose of capability....there is no way I would need anything else,
as
I could spend the rest of my life with just these two apps

>> I just wish Mobius was ported to mac.....that would be awesome....

doesn't someone make an app that will make a pc VST work on a mac? I used
have a program that converted VST to RTAS, etc.

Kris