Re: Phil Keaggy article and looping album

i haven't heard the record in question, but i have produced a record
for phil ( and a few unreleased tracks..)  i know him to be one of
the really most amazing musicians around.

i would tend to agree with you about him using a similar mode of
looping.  and again, i haven't heard these tracks in particular.. but
i have heard him take a baroque ground bass melody and play it
backward so that it can be played properly with all the attacks going
the wrong way and them play stuff that bach might have been proud of
over that, add ebow melodies and volume swell textures that were
just achingly beautiful.. and then after the show i'd ask (assuming
he'd worked it out in advance) "hey phil what was that?" and he'd
basically have no recollection of it.  it was just spontaneous. i
have also heard him  sit down with an acoustic guitar in a dressing
room and play some counterpoint (sort of late baroque meets ralph
vaughn williams) and watched him retune the strings several steps
(without really missing a beat) and keep playing whatever tune it was
in a radically new tuning. again, when i asked him about it later, he
was just improvising.

i doubt on a sonic innovation level he won't ever be able to hang
with folks like torn (who has lots of respect for phil.. we've talked
about a record that has both of them on it in the past...) but as a
musician, he's almost in a league of his own.

my two cents