Re: upgrading and system performance

mark sottilaro wrote:
> More often than not, if your system is working the way
> you like it and you don't *need* the new features,
> it's best to make a disk image of your machine end
> freeze it in time.

b-b-but then it won't get 'better'!

moore's law was largely an invention of the microelectronics industry to
justify and 'naturalise' the industry practise of built-in obsolesence.
over time it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. it is idiotic.

my friend Warwick makes electro-blues with a commodore 64.
http://www.myspace.com/control6580

> a song with 10 channels and
>> about 30efx units
>
> Wow, that sounds like a very, very heavy mix.  None of
> those effects could be put no sends so a single
> instance of an effect might deal with multiple
> channels?  Good way to save CPU cycles.

that's not the way i make music :-)

picture up to 5 sends, each sending to each other with variable amounts,
with upwards of 5 (sometimes 10) effect units on each send == lovely
lovely lovely feedback loops. especially with Live's digital clipping
(it sounds nicer than other kinds). for a while my live performance
process was: add a new effect unit to the feedback chain, play with it
until i got bored, repeat. mainly because i could :-) aah digital...

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107

f r e y