Suggestion about looping gear

Hello everyone,

greetings from Italy!

I am new to this mailing list because I have discovered Looper's Delight
only recently.
I don't know if it's ok for me to start a new thread about looping gear,
but since I havent been quite able to quite find an answer to my
questions in the archive, I thought I'd give it a shot. If this post is
redundant, please excuse me, I promise I'll behave in the future :)

Ok so here is the thing. I have been working with loops for a while, but
always at home, never live. I play guitar and use Acid on my PC: I build
soundscapes with variously processed bits of guitar riffs. So basically
I just loop my stuff with Acid.
Now I am going to do a few live gigs, and I need to loop phrases in real
time to build layers of sounds on stage. In the future I am considering
using a laptop with a MIDI foot controller, but for now I think I'd just
like to go for a pedal. I have read thousands of reviews, but I thought
I'd ask advice from this community, since I am more likely to find
people here who have a similar approach to looping - I mean, elsewhere I
have often read reviews to find out in the last line they were written
by people who would use loopers just to practice their solos, which is
ok but I need a different perspective.

So, I was going to go for a Line 6 DL-4, or a Boss RC-20 or Rc-20 XL.
Yet, it doesn't seem they are quite my thing. Line 6 pedal is deemed to
be not very reliable (see the appalling reviews on harmony-central.com);
Boss's pedal seemed to be mainly used by people who like to store loops
in advance, rather than looping in real time. I also thought I could buy
just a simple delay, but my question here is how long will a phrase be
repeated by a "plain" delay? Can I overdub more than one phrase with a
delay?
What is essential to me is that the loop is accurate with timing, very
precise (some loopers I have tried were not quite quick enough in
responding to my hitting the footswitch for "rec" or "stop").
Unfortunately, it's not easy for me to find these pedals in stores near
me, so I'll have to drive a couple of hours to a bigger store, and I
would like to get there with clearer ideas you know.
So what do you guys suggest? Is there something that you think is
suitable for what I need?

Thank you all folks very much indeed to everyone, sorry my post is so
long!

Have a nice day

Lorenzo