Re: Ninjam server

At 1:37 PM -0500 10/23/06, Daryl Shawn wrote:

>I imagine that we would need a dedicated server. These can be rented
>from ISP's, of course, or if anyone owns a server perhaps we could
>pay that person for use and bandwidth. In addition to Ninjam itself,
>I'd like for there to be a public chatroom, an archive, a live feed
>from the room, and an editable calendar (which Os has already
>discussed on the Ninjam list).
>
>What suggestions or contributions might people have for making this a
>reality?

Well, I like the idea and, I've got a dedicated server that I *might*
be able to volunteer.  I can't say for certain, since I'm familiar
with Ninjam, but have never gone through the process of setting it
up, measuring bandwidth, etc., etc., so I'm hesitant to make a full
commitment without knowing all the details.

Maybe I could chat with Kris and/or Rainer once we're all back at our
respective homes again.  They're both at L2k6, I believe, and I'm
currently writing this from Dubai.  (Eid Mubarakh -- or Happy Eid --
to everybody, BTW.)

Right now, the server is only doing duty hosting my three or four
half-websites, as well as my wife's webs and blogs.  I've been
wondering how to justify keeping it (not to mention making the
payments) once we're out of the US permanently, so this could wind up
being a good thing for all parties.   I need to make certain I'm not
doing anything to jeopardize my wife's sites, though, because my
domestic bliss could morph into a domestic hell damn-skippy-quick if
anything were to happen to those.

On the upside, there's a full blown blogging engine installed --
Movable Type -- so we might be able to make use of that.  And as far
as editable calendars go, I think I remember a couple of quick Perl
scripts that do that sort of thing.

I'm not putting my hand all the way up in the air just yet, but I am
willing to consider the possibility.  Let me do some research and
maybe we can work something out.

        --m.
--
_______
"The future: everyone is housed, clothed, and fed, because everyone