Re: Suggestion about looping gear

weaviestonder wrote:
> 1. how much RAM would you say a laptop would need to function as a
> looper? Can you give me a frame of reference?

I run with 768 meg on a Powerbook, but nowadays you'll probably get 1
Gig for the same price. I have in my set a loopingtime of 9*90 seconds,
this is more than 13 minutes... I never use all of it, but it could even
be enhanced... The same patch (basically as it changes with each
concert) has been running on a 500 MHz 512 MB G3 Powerbook on OS 9. With
OS X I needed a bit more speed - Now with 1.5 GHz I can throw in some
extra treatements...

> 2. is software for Mac less functional than that on PC? I was planning
> to get a Mac, since I have heard from many people that they are more
> reliable than computers (no crashes, etc), which is a big deal when you
> are performing live obviously.

The only software I would run anyway is the most functional of all:
MaxMSP. It runs very nicely on a Mac. The new MacIntels actually could
also run Windows if you're willing to be adventurous... ;-)

> 3. If I chose to get a Mac, would the hardware requirements be
> different? I mean, would I need more or less RAM or more or less CPU to
> do the same thing?

No...

Stefan

--