Re: Ninjam server

Kim, that's a fantastic idea, thanks for offering it. Those are excellent advantages. I think the only hurdle at this point would be the setup/maintenance. Would it need to be someone local, or would it be possible to grant someone remote access to install software on the server?

The chat software used for the Kyberfest worked well, and I gather from cpr it wasn't tough to set up. Os has created a Google calendar, which should work fine for now, though new events/edits will have to be done by he or myself for the moment. I'll create a page to handle archives and will work out a process for administering them, the challenge will be disk space (which perhaps could be distributed among some of the other servers that people have offered). Mark Francombe had a good plan for the live feed with a Shoutcast server, that too might be best handled by another machine.

I'm committed to making this stuff happen, it will be a great personal benefit to me for my own playing (as well as getting fresh looping music!). And I loved to see all the interaction that happened around the Kyberfest.

I'll get in touch offline about the next steps. thanks again.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com

At 11:37 AM 10/23/2006, Daryl Shawn wrote:
So...what I'd like to see happen is to have a LD-exclusive Ninjam server, open to any members and their acquaintances, and on which time could be scheduled for sessions.

If this is going to be a Looper's Delight Ninjam server, how about hosting it on the Looper's Delight server?

The advantage is it will be as permanent as Looper's Delight, obviously connected to Looper's Delight, and receive much more attention from various loopers due to the large traffic at the site. So it won't be forgotten about 6 months from now...

>From the specs stated previously, it didn't seem like it would be that big of a deal for me to do this. (LD server is a 3.2GHz P4, 512MB ram, 120G disk, Debian Linux, 100-baseT connection into multiple OC-192 connections at the datacenter, tied directly to tier 1 backbones with 3ms latency, etc.) Maybe we would need to do a few trial runs to see how it goes. I would need somebody to take charge of setting it up and helping to deal with whatever maintenance is needed.

In addition to Ninjam itself, I'd like for there to be a public chatroom, an archive, a live feed from the room, and an editable calendar (which Os has already discussed on the Ninjam list).

these seem like interesting ideas, I would just need somebody to commit to implementing them!

kim

Kim Flint                     | Looper's Delight
kflint@loopers-delight.com    | http://www.loopers-delight.com