MAX/msp question

Hi,

If you're not interested in MAX or laptop based looping rigs, please
ignore this post.

During the last days I have examined Ableton Live 6.0.1 and
unfortunately found that it lacks one function that is very important
for me: calling up multi effect patches ("Racks") by external MIDI
(using foot pedals).

--> I guess this is possible with MAX, isn't it?

By studying the Eventide Eclipse and my own TC Electronic FirefirX
for two years I have finally learned enough about combining different
effects and I'm now confident that I'm able to recreate "my sound"
from any audio audio processing environment that provides the usual
modules as well efficient wiring and side-chaining (read "MAX"... I
guess?).

I would probably get rather far by only using VST or AU (preferably
VST, since I like to assemble the processed audio as loops in Mobius,
which sadly is Windows XP only). I guess MAX displays loaded VST's
parameters and makes it possible to, for example, take one parameter
out of VST A and run it through a "scaling module" (eventually with
also a "multiply/division coefficient" that may be directly
controlled from a MIDI expression pedal) to have it control a
targeted parameter in some other VST plug-in.

--> I guess this is possible with MAX, isn't it?

To go even further into details, here are some examples of typical
multi effect patches (my musical imagination includes twenty patches
that I want to have instantly accessible when playing):

FX patch example 1:
- Input
- Signal split into three parallel lines
- Parallel line 1: Dry signal
- Parallel line 2: Harmonizer + 5 (wet signal)
- Parallel line 3: Harmonizer - 7 (wet signal)
- Summing of the three parallel signal lines
- Compressor
- Output

FX patch example 2:
- Input
- Reverb
- Signal split into two parallel lines
- Parallel line 1: Dry signal
- Parallel line 2: Reverb signal (this line includes a filter which
cut-off function is controlled by a step sequencer)
- Summing of the two parallel lines
- Compressor
- Output
(associated module: Step Sequencer)

In example 2 a MIDI expression pedal should be mapped to control the
volume of the second parallel line (step sequence filtered reverb). A
more advanced version of this FX patch also includes a random LFO
controlling the tempo division of the step sequencer that is
controlling the filter cut-off that shapes the reverb tail.

--> I guess this is possible with MAX, isn't it?

Regarding my preferred looper Mobius in MAX, I do not intend to run
Mobius tracks as separate outputs into MAX for the purpose of
applying effects post loop. I prefer the performance technique where
you apply effects to the looper input (MAX + VST's) and record the
effects as part of the loop (into some Mobius track). Although this
does limit the options in theory I have found it more intuitively
"playable" in praxis.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)