Re: MAX/msp question

On 29 okt 2006, at 22.02, Jeff Kaiser wrote:

> Please feel free to email me with questions on or off line.....I
> think this type of software is the future of what we are
> doing....and it is so musical and fun to work with....

Thanks! Here comes the first question I bumped into after spending
the evening reading the MAX and the MSP manuals. Everywhere in the
reference material all time issues are given in milliseconds. That's
not how I want to work. I want to write my patches with all time
dependent processes referring to "the musical grid", i.e. MIDI Clock
tics, beats or whatever it may be called. This global tempo grid is
defined by the looping process - at the moment by Mobius VST plug-in
but in the future probably by some OS X looper similar to Mobius/EDP.
When I do "beatless" music I want to offset my patches from the
global tempo, either completely or by a controllable coefficient
(divider/multiplier) tempo. Does these ambitions make sense with MAX/
MSP?

One example is the MSP manual, page 227, "Variable delay time". The
example delay patch with "tapin~" and "tapout~" is a typical patch I
would use. But the fact that only milliseconds is used for time makes
me uncomfortable. Have I missed out on some parts of the reference
manuals?

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)