Re: MAX/msp question

On 30 okt 2006, at 12.56, a k butler wrote:

> Also with Bidule.
> (plus you could do the 'development' with live audio running
> through as you worked)
>
> ...I don't know how the quality of the building blocks compares
> though.

I'm investigating Bidule right now. Had to stop for some sleep but I
just woke up now and will continue with live audio running through
while building. Bidule seems much faster than MAX to realize certain
multi effect patches. Don't know yet if it sounds good enough though,
but there is always the option of throwing in existing VST plug-ins
into the effect chains. But it's a drag to work in Windows XP (have
to do that because of Mobius) because I could really use Apples free
audio plug-ins. For example, Apples pitch-shifte is excellent and I
have no third-party plug-in that only does simple pitch-shifting. The
closest is Ohmforce Hematohm but then you get all their built-in
wiring as well. I would prefer just plain pitch-shifters and do the
wiring with delay lines etc in Bidule (or MAX).

I wonder if it would take a lot of time to make a looper like Mobius
in MAX? (taking advance of working in OS X with all the good Apple
plug-ins, Core MIDI and Core Audio). Of all the MAX built loopers
I've seen they all loop one layers at a time and then move on to
create the next layer in a parallel loop. That's not efficient for
the looping I'm interested in. Is it just that some template in MAX
implements this kind of development? I guess it must be possible to
set up a loop with overdub layering and feedback control in MAX? I've
heard normal tape-style delays in MAX so it must be possible!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)