Re: Mixer with MIDI scene recall

At 2:01 AM +0000 10/31/06, Greg Mills wrote:
>Hey mech, thanks for your input. I was kind of hoping there would be
>something a little more recent than 1987!

Yeah, I wish there were more things out there as well.  There are
still a lot of really cool things to be done with MIDI, but with a
few exceptions (Numerology, for example), it seems as if most of the
development dollars were spent during the late-80's or early-90's
when there was more of a "gee-whiz" factor to MIDI.  Heck, two of the
hands-down best MIDI foot controllers -- the Digitech PMC-10 & Lake
Butler Midi Mitigator -- both came and went by the middle of the
90's.  That's not to mention all your cool little widgets like merge
boxes, breath control, arpeggiators, data filers, etc.  MIDI scene
control is something that was popular for a millisecond, then got
passed by when people started flashing onto realtime control via
computer.  What happens when you don't want to take your computer
onstage, however?

To be fair, there are also a couple of other full-blown digital
mixers that allow scene selection and control (Yamaha made a couple,
IIRC), but I can't think of any others that are a 1U rackmount.

>Fidelity is an important factor
>for me, although some of my gear is not that recent I would prefer the
>final
>output to be as clear as possible.

Oh, I understand completely.  I've currently got four of the SPM
8:2's (we used to use them as submixers in the studio, before passing
a feed along to the main board).  Yet I'm not really using any of
them actively right now, simply because of that bandwidth issue.
Most of the instruments I'm dealing with now as well require a fuller
frequency response than you could get away with a decade ago.

I'm still hopeful that the problems are predominantly in the older
op-amps.  I'd also like to see what it would take to convert them to
balanced outputs as well.  I'll post if I can ever find anyone to do
a modification to update those issues.  Given the current selling
price, these are a fantastic bargain if you can get around the loss
at the top end.  And their enhanced functionality would more than
justify the cost of having them modified.

>The filtering sounds interesting though, love the analogue filter sound.

Oh yeah, the filtering is very cool.  You can have the LFO
free-running sweeping the low-pass filter up and down, or else you
can use the envelope follower to track the incoming volume on a track
(sort of like an auto-wah).  Likewise, you can alternatively do the
same with the panning.  You can auto-pan a track from side to side,
or you can have the relative loudness of a source control where in
the stereo field it's placed (beware: this can cause motion sickness
;)

The effect settings, BTW, are individual from track to track, so you
can auto-pan one track while envelope tracking the filter on another,
for instance.  As well, you can likewise get some very interesting
effects by fading between two MIDI scenes.  Change only a single
parameter (like EQ, or effects) between two scenes, for example, and
you can get a morph effect as the parameters change.

Overall, extremely cool feature-wise.  Just wish I could get over the
fidelity hump.  :P

        --m.
--
_______
"If Television is a babysitter, then the Internet is a drunk