Re: new sync feature for Augustus Loop/Live users

On 1 nov 2006, at 10.47, Os wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this might be of interest to some - new in yesterday's release of
> Augustus Loop. From the manual:
>
> "Essentially this is a workaround for a limitation in Ableton Live, in
> that Live reports rounded tempo values to hosted plug-ins when
> externally synced by MIDI clock. For example, if Live receives clocks
> at a tempo of 114.6bpm, it will tell its hosted plug-ins that the
> tempo is 115bpm. Why it does this remains something of a mystery.

That's great - for those who don't have an issue with Live's other
shortcomings. Over here I have decided not to upgrade to version 6
because the new "rack" function (1) does not support external MIDI
pre-set recall and because (2) rack presets do not remember any MIDI
cc bindings. I had high hopes for the rack as a way to swap between
different setups of multi effect presets during performance (the best
way to save up CPU cycles and still the reason I use an external
multi effect processor pre looper) but unfortunately this was not
considered important from a marketing perspective. I have been using
a NFS review version of Live 6 extensively and have hands-on
experience with these shortcomings. Oh well... have to turn to Bidule
for comfort and to Max for inspiration ;-))

I'm really looking forward to start looping with Augustus Loop as
soon as Numerology 2 is released (any week now I think). Numerology
is a modern Mac application that takes full advance of OS X (AU, Core
MIDI, Core Audio) which in my opinion makes it a better host.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)