RE: MUSE RECEPTOR (was: Re: laptop setup - which rack to use)

From: Glenn [mailto:glenn234@pacbell.net]

> Soon everyone will have one

I can appreciate your enthusiasm, but I don't think you have a very
good understanding of the technical challenges and business realities
for a device like this.  This is a niche product that doesn't work
well enough and isn't cheap enough to have mass market appeal.  It
works very well for some applications, but it isn't for everyone.

What it basically is, is a rack mount PC without a keyboard and
monitor.  They have made a number of sensible design choices to
improve the stability of the system, but these choices have
consequences.  It doesn't run either of the two major operating
systems so there will always be compatibility issues.  The more
complicated VSTs have carefully designed user interface windows that
don't translate well into a little LCD of scrolling parameters.  Some
VSTs require occasional keyboard and mouse interaction.

As I said, it works reasonably well for VST instruments and effects
where you're just calling up patches and not creating anything new on
the fly.  But for more complicated "performance tools" like
loopers a specifically designed UI (hardware or software) is crucial.
So to really use this thing for looping you're going to have to drag
around an LCD monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  And at that point you
have to compare it to an ordinary rack mount PC and decide whether the
marginally improved stability is worth more than being able to run
any software you want.

Jeff