Re: 3rd Hand + DL-4(was: Boss RC-2 Shipping Now...Just RecievedMine)

At 9:19 PM -0800 11/13/06, William Walker wrote:
>I'm wondering how the third hand handles half shaft potentiometers like
>the
>ones that come on Line 6 pedals, or if it can only be used on solid or
>split
>shaft pots.. Any one with experience with the third hand and line 6
>pedals.

Well, I'll be happy to actually try out that combination when I
finally get back home, but it's going to be a coupla weeks yet.  :P

However, the 3rd Hand terminates in a cylindrical socket secured with
a single side-screw, IIRC.  As long as the shaft can fit inside the
socket in the first place, I think it ought to work okay.  If
anything, you might only need to replace the current side-screw with
a longer one that would reach far enough to rest against the flat
side of the half-shaft.

Or, if that were still an issue, I wouldn't imagine it being much
more than about a 20 minute job to have a local machine shop rough
out an "adapter" that would firmly hold the half-shaft in the socket.

Since the pots have a smooth continuous flow, I could envision the
3rd Hand working okay with the Tweek, Tweeze, and Mix knobs.
However, I wonder if you might get into trouble using it for the
DL-4's Algorithm knob.  With a detented knob like that one, I'd think
it would be an enormous pain to use your foot to zero in on the
"notch" for a particular algorithm.

        --m.
--
_______
"The revolution may be someone somewhere else..."