Re: OT: Keller Williams / jam bands/ rc50

That's a fair assessment, Travis. You reinforce both sides of the fence. That there are, and they are based on relative / varying criteria is the key.

K-
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:49 AM
Subject: Re: OT: Keller Williams / jam bands/ rc50

The mainstream pop audience looks at experimental music and says "The emperor has no clothes...my five year old could do this, this stuff is crap".  Imagine trying to explain that, say,  Derek Bailey is one of the most important musicians of the last fifty years to someone just by playing one of his albums, without the twenty pounds of glowing "Wire" mentions he accumulated every year.  That's marketing too.

The avant garde audience looks at the mainstream pop success (or even cult favorite Keller Williams) and says "The emperor has no clothes...anyone could do this, this stuff is crap".

Both sides are missing out on something valuable from the other side of the fence.

But to me, if I look at a cooking Keller Williams show, I see a performer and an audience who are experiencing a joy at the event which greatly exceeds the joy factor of any Derek Bailey show I could imagine.  If the combination of "joy" and "music" are important to you in assessing musical events, then KW wins out.  If there's something more important than "joy", then he may not rate so highly.

For me, there is no "wrong sort" of joy generated by a musical experience--the purpose of the musical event is to use whatever tricks and techniques the performer has available to transport him or her and as much of the audience as possible into a glimpse of the divine.  That is my standard for a successful musical performance--not whether I played anything new or challenging (while not excluding those possibilities either).

TravisH

On 11/29/06, Krispen Hartung <khartung@cableone.net> wrote:
Okay, I admit this is getting a bit off topic now....