Re: "A Night of Spontaneous Compositions" @ Visual Arts Collective - January 13

That's a nice looking mando, Paul...F-Style...pricey too!  As for the cheapy I am playing by Gold Tone, it's the only single-string, 6-string Mandolin I could find on the market without having one made. Gibson used to make one, but discontinued it. Relative to how the traditional mandolin is tuned (in fifths), I suppose mine is tuned in an "altered" way, as it is tuned exactly like a guitar out of the box.That is why it was so easy for me to pickup and play.  Heck, it's basically a miniature jazz hollow-body guitar...except I tune it down to C rather than starting at E. It loosens up the strings a bit.  But I may try some altered tunings, like tuning it in tri-tones. That ought to force me to play outside the box. I need to buy some replacement strings for it, but I'm afraid I'll have to just order the strings individually.

As for electrifying it, I had one of those McIntre acoustic feather pickups installed in it....and the strap button that serves as a jack....then I run it through an LA Bags acoustic preamp....it sound quite good, although if I was willing to spend more money, I would have bought a pickup that fits under the bridge....the feather pickup still picks up a bit of external noise, which ends up being sort of interesting for the type of music I am playing!

After a year, if I am still hot over this 6-string mandolin, I plan to have a luthier make me a custom version that is a bit larger scale..like a 6-string tenor mandolin...maybe drop a few grand or so on one.  The fret size on this thing is just so hard to get used to. It slows me down, which I guess I need to do anyway. :)

K-