Re: AW: Old Topic with the scientists' unscientific reply - mainly for Per

On 1 jan 2007, at 19.08, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill wrote:

> The short answer to the "blowthru instrument material" question I
> received
> from the guy behind www.eppelsheim.com:
>
> The material is highly relevant for woodwinds, much less (only
> slightly) for
> brass instruments.
>
>       Rainer

Interesting. Was he really talking about the general body of the
instrument? Maybe he meant the specific  matter that creates the
sound in the first place? Which are the players lips in brass
instrument and traditionally a slice of bamboo wood for reed
instruments like saxophone. Of course the material of the little
vibrating reed is highly relevant. I started using fiber coated
bamboo reeds which gives a totally different sound (but that was
before I started using an EWI instead of a a sax, reducing the need
for reeds to zero).

I think plastic saxophones are cool! But I wouldn't want a red one,
I'd prefer a dark green, or brown, with big orange dots. I've heard
they sound good too!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)