Old Topic with the scientists' unscientific reply - mainly for Per

Per, you wrote:

> Interesting. Was he really talking about the general body of
> the instrument? Maybe he meant the specific  matter that
> creates the sound in the first place? Which are the players
> lips in brass instrument and traditionally a slice of bamboo
> wood for reed instruments like saxophone. Of course the

He was referring to the instrument body's effect on the sound. For some
reason which I do not remember completely, the instrument's body has a
greater effect on the sound for woodwinds than for brass. But even for
woodwinds, the effect of the reed (and to a lesser extent, of the
mouthpiece) is greater.