RE: Tubes in Pre-amps: your expertise and honest opinion.

  Andy wrote;
"Sometimes in this sort of gear, the valve is run at low voltage, which
some
claim doesn't give the same "valvey" sound, and this is likely to be the
case if you don't see the valve actually glowing.
(clever Behringer use LEDS to simulate the glow )"

I'm one of those "some"...
  One of the reasons I like the sound and feel of my Duncan twin tube
preamp
is the fact that they opted to use a pair of subminiature tubes (smaller
than 12ax7's) running at high voltage. I've owned tube overdrives before,
chandler tube drivers and the like, but this thing is so much more dynamic
to the touch and rich in overtones than the type of low voltage output
design Andy is referring to. On the other hand, I've also had good luck
with
my Art pre-amp. I have an old two channel 2 space rack mount model and I
suspect its running at low voltage. I have never changed the tubes in 10
years and that's a good indicator. But any decent preamp to me is a good
thing to throw in front of a DAW if for no other reason than to give a bit
of compression and softening to the signal, and a bit more sonic complexity
before it gets 10101010101010101'd :>)
Bill