Re: Re: Re: Tubes in Pre-amps: your expertise and honest opinion.

I guess Bluetone folded. That proves my point. They had it, and they had a
number of high profile guitarists happy to say that Bluetone had it. But
the market wasn't interested because there are no valves in it.

I don't want to tell you what the pedal was for purely selfish reasons.
It's got a circuit configuartion in it that I might want to market some
time. Actual
ly I did try to market it about four years ago, but the company I set up
collapsed partly for personal reasons. The device I made was designed to
go in the FX loop of a SS amp to emulate valve power amp distortion.

The pedal itself, when I was back at college was blind tested against a
Rat, a Rockman Sustainer and a MkIII Boogie. The Rat fooled no-one. The
Sustainer was indestinguishable from the Boogie when listening to playback
off tape, but not when playing live. The unnamed peda, plugged into the
Boogie FX return,l fooled about two dozen guitar players into thinking it
was the Boogie's own preamp.

As for power amps with the response of a guitar valve power amp - I don't
know of any. I would not do it that way. I would emulate the
characteristics required in the preamp section and use the power section
for clean, linear power delivery. This Enables the amp to get those
characteristics independant of volume. It's what most of the Marshall
Valvestate amps try to do with thier preamp valve and it's what the Vox
Valvetronix range does as well. In the HiFi world there are many power
amps that are coloured enough to be indestingishable from valve.

As for your final paragraph, we all like to think we are open minded. But
your preconceptions are probably just as set as mine. Hearing is the most
subjective of all the senses. We all refuse to hear what we don't want to
hear.