question for a friend

Here's one I'm sure you could answer but I was totally stumped because I use TDM plug ins and never tried to use em live:

Just trying to use a VST plugin to affect the sound on a line in, and actually hear post effect in the monitor..

So he wants to play his tuba live and use VST plug ins live - and HEAR the plug ins live, real time. I think I've been reading about 'all of y'all' doing that so if you have an answer you can reply to Miles in the CC,,, OR I'll copy and forward your replies. He is, by the way, one killer tuba (actually sousaphone) player and a fabulous person. Plays in my sometimes band, The Musical Fruit.

Thanks times MC squared

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.