2nd Annual Boise Experimental Music Festival - Call to Musicians

Happy New Year Everyone!

Can you believe it? Nine months have passed since the first Boise Experimental Music Festival (BEMF) last year, which is still archived at www.boisemusicians.com/experimental. Now, get ready for BEMF 2!

Last year's festival was a complete success relative to similar festivals across the country and around the world. It was so well received, that the word spread to musicians all over the world, who have subsequently expressed interested in performing at the second annual version of the festival. This is great news and will certainly break new ground yet again in placing Boise, Idaho on the world map of experimental and avant-garde music.  So, BEMF 2 will now be an international event if all goes as planned.

BEMF 2 will again be held at Visual Arts Collective (VaC)  here in Boise, April 26 - 28, 2007.  VaC has proven to be an excellent venue for avant-garde art and community gatherings. A special thanks goes to Anneliessa and Samuel Stimpert, the owners, for supporting the festival again. Much of the success of last year's festival was due to their endless support and fabulous venue.  BEMF 2 will kickoff Thursday evening (April 26), continue on Friday evening (April 27), and then feature all performing musicians on Saturday afternoon (April 28), continuing until late night. I will share more details at a later date.

Because the festival will be open to other musicians around the country and world, I will be modifying the performance criteria slightly in terms of the experience, style, and caliber of performing musicians.  Last year there were some performances, though very professional and by experienced performers, were not an optimal fit within the artistic and long term vision of the festival (mainly in terms of genre, style, and approach). This was intentional, because the festival itself was an experiment, and I was testing the waters for what was possible here in Boise.  Now I know what is possible!

BEMF 2 will take it to the next level and feature very prominent and defining members of the international experimental and avant-garde music community. To ensure that the festival achieves this level of representation, I have appointed a review panel to approve and help decide on the final list of performers for the festival, because undoubtedly there will be more submissions than there are available slots.  I will accommodate as many as I can. However, I will also have some performance slots for "emerging experimental artists," to feature new talent and upcoming artists in the experimental music scene. The festival now has the potential to feature some of the most innovative, fascinating, and creative music art in the industry, music that is very rarely experienced at typical venues open to the public.

To get the festival planning started, I am announcing a "Call to Musicians" for the 2nd Annual Boise Experimental Music Festival.  Please send this to anyone and everyone who may be interested in performing at the festival.

Performance Submission Process

1) Prepare the following information:
  • Your Name
  • Your act name (if applicable)
  • email and/or phone number
  • Website (if available)
  • A brief description of your music
  • A CD-R or sample mp3s (no more than 6MB of attachments) of your work, in "LIVE PERFORMANCE" format only, representing what you sound like at a live performance

2) Send the above info via one of two methods:
OR
  • Send all info (printed format) and MP3s (on CD-R) to Krispen Hartung, 1810 W. State Street #226, Boise, ID 83702

I will be sending additional BEMF 2 updates in the near future, with more details on the event, call to sponsors and volunteers, etc.  I also plan to finalize the performance schedule no later than March 30.

Finally, if you are a myspace cruiser, feel free to join the BEMF myspace group at: http://groups.myspace.com/bemf

Cheers,

Kris

Krispen Hartung