Re: Accompanying yourself with live dance beats

Title:
Qua,
I've been seeing your name on Loopers Delight. Cool.
When I was doing the looping with pre-recorded beats, I used an E-mu XL-1 Turbo. They are pretty cheap now (about $200-$250 on ebay). They have space for 3 more roms, which oddly enough are about the cost $200. This series of rackmount synths has what is called a Beats mode, which are pre-recorded rhythm loops with I think 12 tracks that can be individually switched on and off using MIDI Note On/Off. I used a MIDI Step for this purpose, but any MIDI footpedal sending Note On/Off will work.

I was also doing a lot of MIDI sync, so I used a Unicorn MIDI Time Piece II MIDI Patchbay to route all the MIDI signals.

> Hi,
> I'm really new to looping and related technology. I'd appreciate ideas,
> feedback on this concept for a live performance.
>
> In a live performance, I'd like to create a groove like you'd hear in
> electronica/dance DJ music.  Perhaps ~4 loop layers , and then let it
> continue to loop/play as a background for live Stick playing.   I've
> heard dance grooves that use all kinds of interesting 'found sounds' ,
> voice clips, beats etc , that end up creating a kind of drone that could
> serve as background to play over.
>
> What do you think?   How would you go about creating the groove layers
> I've described?
>
> -Qua

Louis Hesselt-van-Dinter