RE: Accompanying yourself with live dance beats

This is my primary type of looping, so I'll chime in.

One way to do it is to pick up a drum machine.  Any
type will do, but I found the new Korgs ot be really
good.  However, if you can find one of the
discontinued E-MU Command Stations, they're really
great.

Second, you will *need* a MIDI syncable looper, or a
looper that spits out a MIDI clock.  See the tools of
the trade page on LD for suggestions.  Right now if I
was going to buy something currently in production I
wouldn't mess around with the Boss loopers, I'd go
straight for the Looperlative.

However...

I gave all this up for a more flexible laptop based
system.  It's a more expensive way to go in the end,
but I think it's worth it.  Also, there is no drum
machine that's as easy to program as a good software
version.  None.

So...

One laptop: get yourself something quick and add as
much ram as it'll take.

Audio Interface.  My laptop had Firewire and that
seems best.  Sony and Toshiba's have it built in
native as do Macbooks

MIDI interface: If you're playing an instrument that
requires two hands get yourself something for the
floor like the Behringer FCB1010 and possibily
suppliment it with a MIDI keyboard.  I love the
Novation Remote line.

Sequencer: Ableton Live really rules for looping in
all sorts of ways.

Drum Machine: Stylus RMX and MicroTonic rock my world

Looper: ALL BOW TO MOBIUS.  It's FREE!  Also check out
Augustus Loop for the Mac and Angstroloop.

Synth... too many to mention.  Many are free and
amazing.

Good luck.

Mark

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate