Re: Let me into the mystical world of midi?

Hi Mark,

 I was able to find the midi spec for the GR30 online
(http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6226/charts.html), and what
you
are looking at is not for realtime control, but for patch configuration,
and it
is part of a sysex message which defines a patch for the GR30. And to
clarify
the meaning of the spec, the bytes 00 00 0A tell you that the Attack
parameter
is  0A (10) bytes from the start of the data, and the values can be 0E-72,
which
map to -50 to +50.

 Sadly it does not look like you can do what you want with a realtime
control,
as is the case for a variety of older midi devices.

 Now, I suppose one could create a piece of software that receives the knob
movements and creates a whole new patch with the new value and then
downloads
that, BUT, not only would it be slow because the midi message 79 byets long
(instead of 3 for a CC message), but, as well, I bet the synth engine would
hiccup when loading a new patch while playing.. :)

peace
-cpr