Re: Unequal Length Tracks in RC50 or 2880?

Quoting Leon Droby <ld60@verizon.net>:

> I'm considering either the RC50...

I acquired an RC50 a couple of months ago.  It is the first loop
station with which I have worked, thus I consider myself a newbie.

> Let's say I record the first track and it's two minutes long.  Now the
> first track loops around and I begin the second track which is only one
> minute long.  When they play again, will I hear the second track for
> one minute and one minute of silence?

On the RC50, you can select the "Loop sync" mode in which all the
loops start together.  The first loop determines the length.  Shorter
loops will play once and restart when the first loop reaches the
beginning.  This mode is comparable to having a multi-track tape loop
wherein you can mute/unmute the separate tracks and they always play
in sync as you recorded them. (that is, if you unmute 30 seconds into
the loop, the unmuted loop will start 30 seconds into its loop.

   Or will the second track play
> twice (which would be equal to the first track)?

Yes, just turn "off" the loop sync.  Without loop sync, each loop will
repeat as soon as it reaches the end.

There is a "loop quantize" function, too.  Your long loop can be, say,
16 bars and you can have shorter loops within it.  When quantize is
"on", they will line up "right on the the beat" regardless of when you
stopped your recording.

When loop sync and quantize is "off", then the three loops act like
three independent loop stations -- since it isn't quantized, you have
to hit your footpedals precisely where you want to end the loop.

> Also on either unit, does the first track establish the length of the
> loop? After the first track, can subsequent tracks have a longer
> duration or does it have to fit within the length of the first track?

On the RC50 (from everything I can determine) the first loop sets the
length when you are in loop sync mode.  This seems to be the case with
quantization, also... I'll check it when I get home.

Someone else may have a better explanation of this and I'll look
forward to reading any other answers.

-- Kevin