A little more info on RC-50 loop lengths

Hello!

This note is written to correct and clarify some information that I
posted regarding the RC-50 and the issue of different length loops.

When "Loop Sync" is "on", then all the loops will start together.  The
longest loop will play continuously while shorter loops will stop and
restart when the long loop goes back to its beginning.  As a practical
matter, all the loops are as if they are the same length as determined
by the longest loop.  That is, you can overdub beyond the end of the
short loop and that fragment will play back at the same point in the
loop where you overdubbed.  Thus, "Loop Sync" makes the three loops
act as a single three-channel loop.

When "Loop Sync" is "off", then each loop will repeat as soon as the
loop reaches the end.  When used in conjunction with the "Quantize"
function, then even if your pedal pushes are a little off the beat,
the loops will quantize to the nearest bar.  Also, when "Loop Sync" is
off, there is no length restriction on the loops.  Thus, you can
record a loop one measure long, another that is three, and another
that is eight... it really doesn't matter -- they will be quantized to
the nearest bar (measure).

I really had hoped to sync the looper with my computer's MIDI clock
however I just can't get it to work.  The looper receives the MIDI
start and stop messages fine, however it doesn't stay in sync.  I am
probably doing something wrong. I just don't want to declare that the
RC50 doesn't sync -- after all, syncing is one of the RC50's selling
points.  However, for the moment I'm going to "back burner" the
external sync issue until the summer.

Just to reiterate what I wrote before, when Quantize and "Loop sync"
is "off", then the three loops act essentially as totally independent
loops.  A nicety of having them all in the same box is that you can
set up a pedal to start and stop all the loops at once.  For example,
if you don't need the "Tempo" pedal, you can assign it to start and
stop all the loops at once.

I hope this post is helpful to those who had the same questions and
hope this isn't boring for those who have already been through this
before.

-- Kevin