Re: Joe Pass-like looping rendition of Autumn Leaves (on YouTube)

You've pretty much depicted my approach too, Mark. Play with all
fingers...just pop the chord once, and only three note voicings...you
don't
need any more than that. Heck, most jazz piano players drop the root and
fifth anyway, which leaves the 3rd, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and any of the
altered tones (b9, #9, b5, #5) to choose from.

And to be quite honest, the soloist should be driving what alteration and
coloration that the comper uses anyway (that is, if he is a good soloist
and
the rhythm section knows how to listen and support the him/her).  Hence,
in
a looping context, if you are looping your own bass lines/comping, then
you
shouldn't use any radical coloration or alternation (just 7ths, 9ths, and
an
occastional 13th), otherwise, either you are asking for some major tonal
conflict when you solo, or you are dictating what alteration your solo
should include before you even do it.  Hence, if you keep your comping
basic, you can do anything with your improvised solo and it will sound
good.
If you start altering your comping and loop it, then you've painted
yourself
into a harmonic corner.

Intereseting that you use the 3rd and 6th...that was Freddie Green's
approach to big band guitar comping...most all his voicings were that
simple, because the guitar in a traditional big band was not meant to be
heard, but felt and in support of the rest of the rhythm section.  That's
just one approach though..whenI played in an 18 piece jazz big band, I
went
crazy with my voicings, otherwise I would have died of boredom.

...fun stuff.

Kris