Re: RC-50 weirdness: conclusion

Regarding the use of the RC50 as a slave device I am not conviced that
it really syncs as a slave.

It appears that when the RC50 recieves a MIDI-START message, it
attempts to extract the tempo from the incoming MIDI-CLOCK treating it
like a "tap" tempo then otherwise continue in "free run" mode.

I would find the RC50 more useful it they dropped the requirement for
a MIDI-CLOCK signal and provided settings for "Internal" or "External"
sync.  (Instead they have "internal" and "both").  I don't see a need
for "both".  With External sync, the RC50 would simply sync in real
time with the incoming clock.    Then one would start/stop the loops
with foot pedals or CC events (same as when using internal sync).

My hunch (not knowing the software internals) is that the RC50 is
designed to run with its internal clock in free-run mode and doesn't
continuously sync with the incoming clock source.  The reason I say
this is because when I do an accelerando or retard on the master tempo
the RC50 doesn't track it.  It requires a MIDI start message for the
RC50 to sample the incoming tempo and set its internal clock to the
tempo that it detects.  As noted, the problem with this arrangement is
that the tempo detection is innaccurate and it doesn't track in sync
with the master.

Now, in all fairness, I have only tried syncing to me computer
(Firepod) interface and haven't tried it with other sources.  However,
from the posts I am reading I am getting the impression that the issue
is with the RC50 rather than the Firepod.  Incidentally, I can easily
sync my K2600's internal clock to the Firepod.

So, my question is: Has ANYONE successfully synced the RC50 to an
external clock?  If there is a definate "yes" then I'll go back to the
drawing board, though I am running out of options here.

In the meantime, I am using some VST delays that are part of Cubase
SX3 to accomplish my looping -- I am about 5 1/2 minutes into a new
composition and the first in which I will incorporate live loops.  The
info on this mailing list and on the links from this list have been
very valuable to me and I appreciate the contributions of one and all.

-- Kevin