RC-50 Patch settings

Hello all:
I've been reading through the RC-50 manual, and can't quite find the
answer to this question:

Can you change "patches" while a loop is playing?  This is important to
me.  I loop acoustic guitar, vocals and saxophone, and I really like the
ability of the RC-50 to set the gain in each patch for the three
individual inputs, but I heard that to change patches, you have to stop
playback.  If so, that's another unfortunate failing of the RC-50; add
it in with lack of decay rate.

Thanks for the help.

Enjoy the day.
Domenick