Re: Why contemporary music sounds terrible

On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:42 AM, greg williams wrote:

> Zeppelin DVD, which was released around the same time. I don't know
> if it
> was Page himself who suddenly caved in or his mastering engineer,
> but I
> really wish I could hear those recordings with some dynamics still
> intact.

I can't speak for Page or his mastering engineer, but I do some
mastering occasionally and unfortunately the artist often equates
"sounding pro" with "sounding loud".  I know that quite a few
mastering engineers on recording forums I frequent also complain
about "the loud wars" and often time it's the label that wants things
loud.

Matt

---
King Never