RE: Immersive sound, multi-speakers

 I've pretty much decided not to try to purue the "Halfer" surround system.
With the equipement I have, it would be difficult to implement, and could
put amplifiers at risk.

However, I received excellent suggestions on this topic from LD - thanks!

What I am still considering is a flexible,  multi-speaker
(amp/cabs)approach , at least for home use.
I remembered a cool product that Rane makes,  (SM26b , www.rane.com).  It
can be used to split mono or stereo inputs into multiple stereo or mono
outputs.   In reverse, it acts as a mixer.

It has pan and level, but should be quite sonically transparent when placed
between  computer interface outputs,  or FX outputs,  and amplifiers.

For example,  with the SM26, you can route a stereo signal (or dual mono)
-  2 stereo amps,  and/or
-  1 mono  center channel (by panning)

Or,  2 mono signals  panned/leveled to 6 mono outputs

Lots of other possibilities

This should make it easy to experiment.

I'm also considering Hemisphere speakers from
http://www.electrotap.com/hemisphere/  as possible ambient speakers -
Perhaps add 3 Hemisphere speakers to sides/rear of room,  along with my
current 2 accugroove  front main speakers.

Hmmm....:-)
-Qua