Re: From making music (home) - to giving out music (cd-itunes) - and getting gigs

If you want people to hear recordings of your music, make some
recordings and give them to people.  Burn CDs at home, or post your
music online, you don't need a record contract or someone's
permission.  If you can't afford the necessary hardware, odds are you
know someone who can let you make use of theirs.  You can ask people
to give you money if they like it--that works surprisingly well at the
individual level.

There are record labels that are interested in off-beat music of the
type that many loopers make, but given the small audience for that
sort of music, I'm not sure what the compelling reason is to pursue
getting signed by them is.  You're almost certainly not going to get
paid.

Yes, you can have your music on iTunes without being signed--you just
have to sign up with CDBaby, once you have a CD to sell.

If you want to get a gig somewhere, call them up and tell them you'd
like to play there.  They'll tell you what they want for them to make
the decision on whether or not to book you.  If you were in the
States, they'll probably just ask for a web address where they can
hear some samples of your stuff.   So, put together a myspace page and
upload some stuff, and you're in business in a couple of days.  Or
burn a few demo CD's if they booking person wants to hear a CD, it
doesn't need to have a fancy cover or anything.  They're only going to
listen to the 30 seconds of a few tracks in most cases.  Just make
sure your contact information is on every object you ever hand to a
booking person--they can lose anything.

TravisH