Re: The Word is Out! Sell Your EDP's!

(I've never known Yahoo to start playing a video on its main page.)

I don't think I said it did, did I, ye of the dry (attempted) wit.

(Vitriol)

Hahaha. I think I remember all the nasty comments about the guy that did the Boss demo of the RC-50. Gimme a fuckin' break.

As I implied, though. It's just another example of some kid's parents dough that financed his "collection" of gear. I've known plenty of those types. In fact, I still have a couple of their "albums" that I save as a kind of music house of horrors (one from my ex-boss's kid that had to be an example of the worst crap ever promulgated on an unsuspecting public - next to American Idol applicants, of course).

And, just for the record, I'm a looper that doesn't do drone-y stuff (currently). I play mostly typically-structured rock with extended solos. Hence, I have no problem with 'traditional' rock or soul.

Jon Southwood <jsouthwood@gmail.com> wrote:
I've never known Yahoo to start playing a video on its main page.

I'm surprised at the vitriol expended on this kid's video, though. An 11 yr-old who's fairly competent on a handful of instruments uses looping to cover a James Brown song, while hamming it up. Let's break it down:

- 11 yrs old --- there are plenty of vids on YouTube of adults with less skillz than this kid
- Covering a JB song --- this is prolly the biggest offense, right? I mean live looping should only be reserved for a small handful of music types: the ephemeral improvisation, sound sculpture, drone+noodle (aka frippertronics), reichian minimalism, and guitar-turntablism...right out are: jazzer vamp+noodle (jazzer vamp != fripp drone), pop song structures, and above all--*cover* tunes. Let's face it, we should be thankful there are 11 yr olds who know who JB is, let alone are interested in playing his music. It could've been a looping cover of a Paris Hilton song.
- hamming it up --- G-d forbid someone using a looper exhibits stage presence

Before I get accused of being an improvisation-sound-sculputure-frippertronic-reich-turntablism-avant-garde-bleep-bloop hater, know that I've done more than my fair share of ebow-saturated drone+noodles and reichian minimalist pieces, some free improv, some sound sculpture, and much of my chamber music could certainly fall into the bleep/bloop category.

Yeah, an 11 yr old's brand of hamming it up can be a bit annoying, but if someone played the hell out of that song while shoe-gazing, it would suck far worse than what that kid did.

Cheers,

Jon Southwood