RE: ps...the world's first looped cello horror film score?

Title: RE: ps...the world's first looped cello horror film score?

>>i just finished...like yesterday, the score to an indie horror movie.
it was the first time i've gone a feature (i've done bits of
documentaries and recently some commercials). i took the approach of
watching the movie and improvising to certain key sections using the
repeaters, while recording the whole time<<

well done, zoe. I will look out for the movie.... what's it called?

by coincidence, I am engaged in a horror movie project- now that my band's new album is almost done, I will be setting about recording the score to an indie brit-comedy/horror thing. slightly different deal, though- they've given me some reference material & have voted on some demo material I gave them, but apart from that all I have is a draft of the script. no footage, no storyboard, no cues.... I keep saying to the producer (I know him from our "real" jobs) that I can't tell if they're going to play a scene straight or for laughs.... so I'm afraid I'll end up doing a load of library music for them instead of the fine-tuned sound-design job I'd rather do.

did/will they recut your movie now that they have the score? do you anticipate them editing what you've done?

I'm curious about this whole interaction with directors- I spent a long time working on a tv drama myself, so I'm happy to engage with the whole process, but these guys don't seem to understand; I asked for pictures of the locations, got blank looks.

well, my main instrument is the bass guitar, with keyboards a distant second. they want orchestra. & maybe some theremin. I'm going to pretend I misheard that last, & put some mellotron on instead. :-) I have a set of "plucked grand piano" which sounds like a dulcimer.

so my plan is to write the string & wind parts into a looping sequencer* one at a time, using my peavey midi bass. I've tried a bit- violins, cello & bass, & it seems to get me the expressiveness I'm after (pitch bends, velocity & so on) but then I pulled up & put everything away- first to get this album done, but also because I've had no direction from the movie folks. ho, as they say, hum.

(*genoqs octopus)

duncan.