Re: Living under a rock

Heheh. yes but I fully concur with Samba on that.  So many people I
talked to and people very special to me like my uncle who always enjoyed
driving me around LA and talking about times in the music biz and so
on... have become so indoctrinated by the media that it's really hard
for them to think straight anymore.  And it really saddened me that last
time I was down there I guess a couple years ago now, he just blew up at
me over some contrived thing and I just let him rail on me and vent and
when I got back loaded up and left and haven't been back. He's in bad
health and it really saddens me but what can I do?  He chose who to put
his trust in.    If the media turns a blind eye to something...THEY turn
a blind eye to it.  If the media focuses on something SO do they.  (eg.
Bantering "And still no sign of WMD's" 50 bazillion times! To *me*...an
unbiased reporter last I checked...I'd consider the lack of findings a
moot point since there's no absolute way one would *expect* to find such
things since a big convoy went to Syria during the foot dragging period
before invasion which obviously contained *something* that was being
moved in anticipation...  Not that I'm for one or another type of action
in this case.  JUST pointing out a clear example of how the media is
clearly 'yoked together' in some kind of agenda here.  And of course big
money people own it all..and they probably talk and plan because that's
the way humans are and that's how they get rich in the first place
usually :-).  )

I quote some great Steve Taylor lyrics:

"How do we strick it rich?
Kissin' up to the powerful
how do we make our pitch?
sattellites by the tower full."

I think there's a realization of things like this that sets people up to
be able to write great songs.  Music can be perceived as 'sappy' for
instance...even non-lyrical music... because instrumentally it seems...
oh..'disconnected' perhaps with relevance in people's lives.  Sappy
music is largely like by older people who want to recreate a time they
once knew where the music did seem relevant to them.  The way some
things in the world are going, I wonder if Slayer might someday be
considered 'sappy'. hehe.

But anyway I believe relevant creativity is the key.  As I look back on
the musical past the people who really still inspire me when I listen to
their old tracks aren't people who sing about how things used to be.
THey're people who cut through deception and presented some aspect of
life in a more clear way than I'd heard it before.  Using that
multi-dimensional gift of expression we call music to communicate to the
soul mind and spirit. Some stuff like...late 70's vangelis for
instance... though all non-lyrical pretty much, seems to communicate
very powerfully.  Does anyone else hear that when they listen to like
"China" for instance?  I mean we're talking about more than a guy
playing 'chinesey sounding' sounds on his synthesizer :-).  The're an
order to it that expresses so many aspects of china's history and
emergence into the world economy and so on.   Brilliant piece of work
really.

(As some may not know, Vangelis is kind of a looping pioneer in a way
and highly recommend studying what he did with the tools he had at the
time...ie...all of them that were available at the time.. :-) )  -Bob