Looping on portable hard-disk recorders

Hi,

I checked the archives and didn't see much on portable hard disk
recorders and their usefulness for looping.

What I am looking to do is take best 30-second to 5-minute segments of
analog 2-track recordings and loop them.  I'm sure this can be done
quite will with computers (ProTools, etc.), but am not really interested
at this point in investing a lot of time in learning new
software/hardware, nor investing the money in same.

I see from the owners manuals of some portable hard-disk recorders (Zoom
4-track, Fostex 8-track, etc.) that one can cut and paste sections of
recordings.   I am wondering if doing this could produce seamless loops
(without any glitch or cut-out of the sound).   If I transfered segments
of analog 2-track recordings to a portable hard disk recorder such as
the Zoom MRS-4B 4-track recorder or the Fostex MR-8 series (whose owners
manuals indicate that you can copy and paste sections of recordings),
would the result be nice seamless loops without gaps?    Are there
particular portable hard disk recorders (from two to eight tracks) that
work better than others for seamless, glitchless loop-type recording?

Many thanks!
Michael Yoder
bassist, Ambient Jazz Duo
http://www.myspace.com/ambientjazzduo