Re: busking

Quoting samba - <sambacomet@hotmail.com>:

> Just cause somone is a virtuoso instrumentalist doesn't mean
> they know how to busk.

... or even can hold down a job.  I know of many highly trained
classical organists who are unable to hold down steady church jobs
because they are insensitive to the desires of their church-employers.

> Classical repertoire requires steady attention
> and not distractions.Not apporpriate to the venue when busking.

This is true just about anywhere.  Classical music, particularly the
works of Johann Sebastian Bach, are demanding works for both
performers AND listeners.  Bach's music possesses what I call an
"intrusion factor" -- except for the most cerebral music (such as "The
Musical Offering") most of it is too strident to have in the
background.  Although Bach's music is recognised in many circles as
the epitome of church music, if I played a Bach Fugue as a prelude in
my church I would be tarred and feathered.

People have expectations.  In some churches, people may expect to hear
major works before church.  In others, people want to socialize. At
still others (like the church I play at), people want it quiet.

> What is
> appropriate is stuff that is very rhythmic,can be enjoyed while not a t
> center of attention,is dynamic enough to grab attaention,etc.

Worded a different way -- the music doesn't demand attention yet, for
those that choose to pay attention, there is something there worth
listening to.  Most musicians and many great composers worked under
constraints.  Indeed, it is possible to create create music while
working under severe constraints.

> I highly
> reccomend busking for anyone who hasn't done it. It's a great way to
> learn about musical communication.

I think it would be fun.  Playing the pipe organ doesn't lend itself
to busking.  With electronic instruments (synthesizer, theremin) there
would be logistical issues with moving the equipment and finding an
a/c power source.

A friend of mine went out in Manhatten one day with a small (battery
powered) Theremin and amplifier.  He reported that crowds gathered
when he played Beatles songs and scattered as soon as he played
something classical.  His solution was simple... when no one was
around, he played classical to entertain himself and as soon as people
were within earshot he played tunes with which people were familiar.

Another point, well-taken, is that people were on their commutes to
work and most of them probably were running on tight schedules.  To do
this experiment in a park or a district where street performers are
part of the draw might have yielded a different result.

-- Kevin