busking

  My favorite buskers are Artis the spoonthang ,Baby Gramps,the Human
Jukebox guy in SF in the 70s. I actually saw  the legendary street
performer
Moondog in NY in the very early 70s,Thelonious Monk,members of Pentangle
and
the Band were among his fans. There was an 80s band called Violent Femmes
who were busking outside a Pretenders show.The kids standing in line were
mostly ignoring them ,but someone in the pretenders heard and dug them,and
when the show started VF were  onstage opening ,and got hooked up to get
signed.
  True there's no reason to expect busy commuters to have time to stop and
play audience.There are many possible responses to this truth. One is to
make them stop and listen,and watch ,and ,make them give you money by
being
totally irresistable ( this usually requires a fair amount of schtick,
just
like rock music). Another is to not try to stop them but to play music
that
energizes them or improves their mood. It's possible to play music that
doesn't require intellectual attention to be enjoyable. Speak to the
body,and it doesn't matter if they are paying conscious attention.  If you
do this in the same spot regulary ,you'll make money. Another is just do
what you do and ignore them, it will moslty be mutual,wait for someone on
your wavelenght.You can always play for people waiting in lines.
  I've met many players who want audiences to pay attention to them,but
don't pay attention to the audience. I garuntee you BB king has never
ignoreed an audience in his life.He started out busking.

$771/month*