Re: OT "He is" or "I am"

Michael,

I think you're taking the wrong view on this. You shouldn't give a
damn "what people think" weather you or someone else has written the
biography. The only thing that matters is who you are addressing with
the text! If you want to use the web site to "show off" your personal
artistic expression it may be fine to use "I am" and let the web site
be a part of your "artistic outlet in the public domain". But if your
intention is to provide the web site as a helpful resource for
journalists, event promoters and general music business players you
should definitely use the third person perspective.

I have been working for a couple of years as a full time artist under
major label contract pressure and have never seen a press release
written from the first person perspective. But a writer can bring in
certain quotes of the artist where he/she may explicitly say
something. After I quit the commercial scene I was working for a
while as a freelance writer for record labels and publishing
companies. I wrote each biography in three different versions; (1)
one very short that targets busy journalists that might even want to
copy and paste the text into their magazine, (2) one longer text that
gives a little more artistically relevant background and (3) one very
long text that spells it all out in details. This long version are
for journalists that may want to do homework before doing a redio or
tv interview. On a web site one take could be to use the short
version on the web page and provide a link to the other two versions.

Go to www.allmusic.com and check out the biographies, they are well
written with different levels of stylistic approach and tempo. And,
as said: the key is to visualize and understand the reader of target.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)