Re: DTS / 5.1 - advice, please

On 17 apr 2007, at 02.32, David Kirkdorffer wrote:

> Has anyone here released their music mastered for DTS

No.

> or 5.1 ?

Yes.

> advice: do's and don't.... what to look out for...special
> considerations.. etc.

If your material is only music you don't need to use the center
speaker. That makes it a lot easier to create interesting "rooms"
within the four ambience speakers by working with dual stereo signals/
treatments.

It's natural to think that the best tool is a "software mixer" that
has a surround panning tool on each track. I too started out with
that but after some time I found that I could do it much better by
simply address the surround speakers directly and built whatever
needed to circle, time delay, "dopplerize" - or whatever needed - the
sound. I was working in Logic, but any mixer or software would do if
it just has five (or six) addressable outputs for the speakers.

Get four equal speakers for the mixing and burn DVD-V discs to
control listen on a medium crappy home theatre movie box with Dolby.

I even made the AC3 files myself and delivered them to the video guy
who when mastering the movie imports the AC3 file as part of the
Dolby Surround Sound (or whatever it's called). When making an AC3
(for DVD-V, DVD-A is a different story) you are given the choice of
how much to compress. I chose 256 kbps and am totally happy with that
audio fidelity.

Do not forget to listen to all surround channels mashed into a mono
bus. You have to watch out with mono compatibility, not only for
phasing issues but also for musical reasons. You see, everything
sounds so much better and more distinct in surround so you will
become tempted to mix with less definition (as in more natural
sounding), which will eventually may sound mashed up in mono when you
do not have the direction of sound.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)