RE: M. Klobuchars' critique if the 30 minute loopfest performance format was: My piano looping video/ and some thoughts

I read Michael Klobuchar's thoughtful critique of the
30 minute performance style of the loopfestivals that I've put on for the
last six years.

I think they are spot on and I agree with his frustrations,
but I also wanted to point out  in their defence:

that I have attempted, as much as is possible,  to create as many
opportunities
for live loopers to play at the festivals as possible in a self concious
attempt
to foster community;   to encourage young and newbie artists to
participate
and
get out in front of a crowd.

The only way to be as egalitarian as I have been with the festivals has
been
squeeze as many performances in as possible.

This is actually a fairly radical idea in performance, at least as it
manifests
in the US.      It means that the overall performance aspect necessarily
suffers
for all of the articulate reasons that Michael laid out that I agree with.

I also think that this egalitarian inclusion has really helped our
community
have
more of a sense of solidarity and I know at least a dozen artist in the
last
several years who are now avid live loopers who had never even touched a
looping pedal
before I lent them one to perform at the festival so I think the strategy
has paid off.

Also,  I have noticed that crowds at other looping events I have been to
have been
oversaturated by longer set lengths.

I've chosen the 30 minute format concious of it's drawbacks but I also see
the whole
festival as a Sampler of live looping............intended to spread the
word
to the public
and to provide many, many loopers with the ability to see dozens and
dozens
of different
approaches to be inspired by.

It has also occasionally kept some performers from performing at the
festival.
Andre LaFosse has repeatedly turned down my requests to play at the
festival
because he feels like he just couldn't do what he does in under a 45
minute
performance.

I don't agree with him at all,  but I certainly respect his decision not
perform.

Noone,   with the exception of Kris Hartung and I ever sees the whole two
day festival
and it doesn't make sense to even attempt it.............it's just too
much.
So my advise is
to pick and choose the sets you want to see and then avail yourself of the
unbelievably stimulating
company of the other artists who aren't currently watching a performance
during the breaks.

Another good thing about the festival being imperfect in different ways is
that it actually
is making Michael think about creating a festival that he'd rather attend
which utilizes
different criteria for performance.

Honestly,  I have tried so hard in the past several years to encourage
people to do their own
small or large festivals as a self concious attempt to grow our community
and , quite honestly,
to put the notion of a live looping artist in the public's mind so that we
could start to actually
make money out in the commercial world doing what we are doing.

So,   I still recommend coming to Y2K7 and to performing at it.  I think
it's a wonderful and inspiring event.

I also highly encourage you to book your own live looping festivals, even
if
they are modest and only have 3 or 4 performers
in an evening..................

................ and hell,  because I"ve worked so hard
for so many years with no compensation,  I'd love to be asked to perform
at
one if you do!
It would be wonderful do give a 45 minute looping performance in
Pittsburgh
if I were to be invited
to do so................<smile>

sincerely and respectfully,

Rick Walker
organizer
Y2K7 International Live Looping festival