Re: OT: brickwall

Kevin,

  I recommend that the DAW meters (which are peak reading meters)
indicate -18dbfs.

I am talking about RECORDING here. when you are producing the final
product, then you can apply peak limiting as desired.

To elaborate: 18db is NOT alot of headroom. If you scan the resulting
file you are going to find that the signal will hit much hotter than
the meters are capable of indicating, particularly digital meters,
since they need to average across several samples.
Pro studios use a calibration standard ranging from -14 to -22dbfs.
Every record I am sent to mix that has been recorded to this standard
has a peak in the file between 0db and -3.
If the reference level  was  higher,  there would certainly be
'overs' in the file.

Almost every modern A/D converter, even a lowly soundcard, has a
better signal to noise ratio than the source. This means that there
is no need to 'print hot' since you are not increasing the
signal-to-noise ratio, only recording the source's background noise
at a higher level.

Subsequently, every DAW or audio editor has tremendous internal
dynamic range and it is not going to compromise the signal to add
gain in the DAW.

-CZ

http://www.zmix.net