Re: ipods for field recordings

 From the specs I don't know why you're doubting its suitability:

                 Low       High
Bit Rate        352 kb/s   1411 kb/s
Sample Rate     22.05 kHz  44.10 kHz

1411 kb/s is an admittedly awkward and redundant way to say 16 bit
resolution.
(
   1411 * 1000 / 44100 = 32, and since we're stereo that's 16 per
channel.
   Also 1 kb usually is 1024 bits, but I guess it's a marketing thing to
   call it "1411 kb/s"
)

So you have 44.1 kHz/16 bit stereo, which is CD quality. According to
the specs.

Bernhard