From: Per Boysen [mailto:perboysen@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2007 11:14 AM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: Flow and Electronic Musical Instrument Design

On 18 maj 2007, at 19.14, Qua Veda wrote:

> I found this great article which bridges some things that I've been
> working on personally and at work (flow concepts) with electronic
> musical instrument design. I think many of you will appreciate and
> enjoy it as well.
>
> http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2004/12/29/flow_1204.html

Yes, very interesting article! Had me start thinking about how I constantly
work on my imaginable "mind maps" for creative improvisation.  In any given
musical situation I want to be able to keep an immediate knowledge of at
least three alternative strategies to go forwards. It may typically be
combining ideas on different, complementary sounds or ideas on transition
between different emotions in music and how to make that happen when
working
with tools like sound, melody, timing, harmony, style... The flow factor is
why I like live looping so much compared to composing or producing recorded
music. A funny detail, regarding this mental work, is that in praxis it
cooks down to the simple question "which parameters can I take away to
reduce my options?" But when I talk to fellow musicians I'm finding that
quite a lot of people think about it in the opposite way, as "how can I get
more options available?" ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)