Re: Visual roadmaps suck (Re: Pers latest clip)

On 22 maj 2007, at 22.22, Charles Zwicky wrote:

> I started live as a wind / horn player and switched later in life
> to guitar  (OK, at age 8).
>  I was fascinated to hear a tape that Jon Hassell played during an
> interview which contained some of his lessons with his indian vocal
> teacher. Vocalizing, note shapes and colors. 'Shredding' is at it's
> -best- like Jackson Pollock, it can be quite valid, too...  I suppose.

I'm totally with you on that, Charles! Although I do have a problem
the word "shredding" I understand where you're going since you
mention "Jackson Pollock" and "vocalizing, note shapes and colors".
But what can be said about playing notes (BB King: "Play as you would
have sung those notes") the same can of course be said about how one
best can relate to scales and phrases at a higher level of playing.
Learn the color/taste/shape of each scale and phrase to make them
part of your musical vocabulary. In this sense I'm all pro shredding;
paint a rainbow by billions of water drops and people will see and
enjoy the rainbow, given you don't bother with every drop but rather
use the rainbow as a meaningful gesture of yours.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)