Re: My Conversation to MAX/MSP - Now Includes Looper

Thanks for the replies. See my responses below.

----- Original Message -----
From: todd reynolds

[snip]

> Krispen, I remain impressed with your setup, and I will go back to
>trying
> Jeff's looper again.  really tough on me not to be able to sync with
> soundfiles in Ableton.

Yes, this could pose a challenge, but I think it could be done in Max. Max
can read any MIDI message and do whatever you want with it. But this would
require some very complex coding in Max, something that neither Jeff nor I
are up to, as we are both asynchronous loopers. You could allow Max to
read
any MIDI message and then sync loops according to that data.

> but someone save me from hardware devices!  Krispen, have you had any
>luck
> with emulating a replace function at all?  My Max/MSP chops are not so
> good that I can program lfo's to drop sound out or sample small bits of
> sound file.

I just talked to Kaiser about this. It can be done. It would require that
new buffer be created, which would mix the content of the old buffer with
your new inserted content. Apparently it requires the groove~ object in
Max.
I'm not sure, but it can be done.

Also, I just found out that some Max folks are overdubbing as well, which
means that we should be able to do insert. Apparently, this requires the
poke~ object. Kaiser just sent me a max looping object written by someone
else that is like a traditional looper...it records, overdubs, allows
pitch
change while overdubbing, etc. I'm checking this out now.

Kris