Re: My Conversation to MAX/MSP - Now Includes Looper

On 26 maj 2007, at 06.17, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> He will work on rate shift, eventually. However, based on what I
> know about what you do in Mobius, I think this could be done with
> pitch change (the gizmo~ object).

I should maybe clarify that I don't use pitch change at all in
Mobius. And not elsewhere either. I'm not really interested in using
that function for looping. But I'm very much into Rate Shift because
it doesn't simply change the pitch, it also changes the loop length
and this makes it more usable as a tool for instant composition. I
mean, if you bring down the loop two octaves and overdubs melodies
you play as fast as you ever can then your overdub will sound like
super busy Mickey Mouse Insects at the correct rate. Doing stuff like
that is a lot more fun IMHO, compared to emulating how a musician
would play something  ;-))

My votes are for priorities on Rate Shift and an easy and fast
interface for mapping it to MIDI notes or CC#. But Augustus Loop
already does that, so far only by MDI notes though, perfectly. And
it's dirt easy to throw in alternate MIDI sequences, as MIDI Clips in
Live,  to play havoc with Pitch Rate while your working the loop by
overdubbing, reversing or changing its length. The only two important
functions missing in Augustus, that would make Max an interesting
alternative if supported, are Rate Shift by MIDI CC# and some sort of
SUSSubstitute/Replace.

The drawback with using Live as a plug-in host is if you want to let
the looper set the tempo, because then Life doesn't play sync slave
in a stable way. This is why had to quit using Live two years ago.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)