Re: POST YOUR SETUP

On 30 maj 2007, at 19.42, Nathan van Heynsbergen wrote:

> From, through and to what does your audiosignal go?

AUDIO output from instrument into laptop B (hosting looper) into
stereo compressor into PA system
AND (simultaneously)
MIDI output from instrument into tempo synced laptop A (to drive
software instruments) and then as audio into laptop B (hosting
looper) into stereo compressor into PA system.

Instruments used are:
--> Fretless sustainiac guitar (line in audio)
--> Akai EWI 4000s (line in audio + midi)
--> Tenor sax (mic audio)
--> Alto flute (mic audio)

With the sax and flute I sometimes use a different rig that works the
same as above but with the tempo synced "laptop A" exchanged for a
tempo synced TC Electronic Fireworx DSP effect processor.

Although the original question concerned "audio signal" I do mention
the MIDI signal here because the EWI is such a sensitive MIDI
controller instrument that it actually doesn't matter for the player
if MIDI or analog electric pulses are transmitting the musical
performance from the instrument. And when initially tapping it
through MIDI the chops are as well converted into plain audio a bit
further down the chain. Merging two audio sources generated by one
master instrument, as done by playing EWI both as audio and MIDI,
also gives the sound of "two playing instruments". Normally in unison
just to fatten it up, but sometimes I play one of them through a
chord voice tracker while the other one goes through guitar amp
distortion. Or one by the sound of a sitar while the other one by the
sound of a trumpet etc etc.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)